One of my favorite thing about spring in South Florida is hands down SunFest. The festival is heading back this year and will be taking over Flagler Drive in Downtown West Palm Beach from April 27- May 1. Who needs the dessert when South Florida’s largest music, art and waterfront festival takes place right in our backyard?!?!
Fun Fact: This year is SunFest’s 34th birthday!
For over 20 years, I’ve packed my bag and my favorite sunnies to enjoy fun in the sun at the annual event. It’s crazy to look back and see how much the event has grown throughout the years, with bigger and bigger musical acts attending each year. Especially this year because the music line up is INSANE!
The musical headliners I’m living to see:
- Duran Duran (I’m an ’80s baby what can I say!?!?)
- Alabama Shakes (I’m stoked to see what Brittany is going to wear, LUV HER!)
- Meghan Trainor
- Jason Derulo
- Steve Aoki
- Death Cab for Cutie
- Walk the Moon
- The Roots
- Fitz and The Tantrums (Handclap is about to be permanently engraved in my brain!)
- Capital Cities
- Salt N Pepa (’90s fashion is making a comeback and so is the music!)
The only thing more important than securing my festival squad is figuring out what to wear to SunFest in West Palm Beach?
What to Wear to SunFest in West Palm Beach
As a SunFest vet and a Floridian fashionista, I’ve put together a few styling tips to help you dress properly for the event, while remaining stylish. Regardless what your festival style may be, make sure you have the three C’s covered:
- Cute- You want to look fashionable while incorporating your favorite trending festival styles!
- Comfy- Since you are going to do a lot of walking and standing, as well as sitting on the grass (which can be wet if it rains), plan to wear comfortable clothing that can get wet or dirty. Festivals aren’t the place to show off your costly threads or accessories, unless you are with them possibly getting damaged or lost.
- Cool- The heat in Florida is no joke, and we can go from sunshine to a thunderstorm within minutes. Make sure your fashionable festival style is functional for the weather, regardless of what Mother Nature has in store.
Festival Styling Tips
Festivals bring out the bohemian vibes in all of us. Depending on your personal style, you may want to incorporate a couple of the trends into your signature style, or go full blown fashionable flower child. Whatever you chose, is up to you, just make sure you keep function in mind.
The Festival Staples- Rompers, crop tops, cut-off shorts, dresses (both maxi and sun dresses), these are the classic festival pieces. This spring, off-shoulder tops, distressed denim, and cropped pants are having a moment in fashion, and would be great styling options. As far as textures and prints, think crochet, suede, and floral prints. Just remember, bring some layers (think a lightweight pull over or a military vest) so you can shed them when the sun heats up, and throw them back on for the breezy evenings.
Fabulous Festival Footwear- The fringe benefits of festival season? FRINGE of course! It’s the perfect opportunity to sport fringe sandals, lace up gladiator sandals, ankle boots, and sneakers. We’ve all worn a pair of shoes that hurt our feet and sun fest is not the place for uncomfortable shoes. Remember: Fashionable and functional! Leave the heels at home, unless you are total diva that can handle them!
It’s All About the Accessories- When it comes to boho festival style, it’s the accessories that really complete the look. Long layered necklaces, stacked rings, cross body bags, and flower crowns are festival staples that are SunFest approved. When picking your accessories, make sure you are thinking about the strong South Florida sun.
While you many want to show some skin, remember it gets hot out there and the sun can be brutal. Opt for over-sized sunnies and hats, which are stylish and also offer protection from the sun. Most importantly, make sure you have sunscreen in that fringe suede bucket bag or faux leather backpack!
Are you heading off to SunFest this year? I’ll be there covering festival fashion for StyleBlazer.com and sharing the fun on social media. Make sure to follow me on Snap Chat (PrettyInPigment) to get a behind the scenes peak!