How to Wear the Nautical Trend
Disclosure: Some items in this post have been provided to me for editorial consideration; however, this does not influence my opinion and all thoughts remain 100% my own.
One of the things that I love most about spring is the chance to wear nautical inspired outfits. This is a classic trend that tends to make its way back every spring/summer season, with the launch of resort collections.
I always incorporate a few nautical elements into my spring look, but this year I decided to go for a retro look.
I was inspired to give my nautical look a vintage twist, after my recent obsession with the AMC hit show, Mad Men. I love how the girls wear popular looks from the 60s such as round skirts, skater dresses, and of course the classic red lip to finish the look off.
There are several components to consider when trying to achieve a vintage nautical look. Try these tips to get you sailing in the right direction!
1. Vintage Flair- Search for pieces that have accents from the 60s. There are currently a lot of retro looks right now that will work to give your look a pinup flair. A few items to consider are high-waisted shorts, midi skirts and traditional naval jacket. Pick one piece and make it the focal point of your look.
2. Prints & Patterns- When it comes to nautical, you can never go wrong with stripes in red, white or blue. When incorporating these elements into your look, be careful not to over do it. Also, there are no written rules to a nautical look, so don’t afraid to add in some colors such as pale yellow, baby blue or even a quirky lobster print.
3. Accessorize- Accessories are the perfect way to add the finishing touches to your nautical look. Consider adding an anchor necklace, ring, or earrings to your look. Again, don’t over do it with the accessories, just because you have a bunch of anchors on, doesn’t mean your look won’t sink!
4. Paint your Pout- Red lips always come to mind when we think retro and a ruby lip is a great way to tie your look together. If red is not your color, you can also try pink or even a nude lip. When wearing a bold lipstick, keep your eyes simple, but make them stand out with liner and mascara.
5. Manage your Mane- Incorporating a 60s inspired hairstyle to your nautical outfit will bring the entire look full circle. Think Marilyn Monroe’s perfect pin curls or Jackie O’s bodacious bob. Finger waves or a smooth blowout could also work.
During my quest for the perfect nautical outfit, I decided to check out eShakti. After browsing through their website, I found the perfect dress and instantly fell in love!
I really like eShakti because they believe that ALL women should have access to great fashions and offer a wide size range, from 0-36W. To get the perfect fit, eShakti also offer custom fitting for a little more, and it’s totally worth it! For the first time, I received a dress that I never tried on, that fit like a glove!
Photo Credit: Melanie Hernandez
Will you be sportin’ the nautical trend this season?