I love the holiday season and this year, since it has been cooler in South Florida, it actually feels like Christmas is on its way. One of my favorite things about the season is being able to wear tartan print. I’m not one for following fashion rules, but I do feel that tartan is a winter print, so I have been taking advantage and wearing it non-stop since November.
Fun fact: I didn’t always have a fascination with this classic Scottish print; I actually adapted a love for it just a few years ago! When I first discovered my affliction for tartan, I did a lot of experimenting to find ways to work it into my wardrobe and to make it work with my personal style.
Here are a few tips and styling ideas on how to wear tartan print:
- Classic Combinations- Tartan works great with almost any neutral color, especially white. The combination is classic and looks polished virtually anyway you style it. For a modern rendition of the classic combination, opt for grey instead of white.
- Edgy Twist- On the contrary, pairing tartan print with black will give you an instantly chic vibe. Try pairing tartan with pieces such as a faux-leather jacket, skirt, or pants. Don’t forget to layer pieces (here are some layering tips) and textures for a high fashion look.
- Mix Prints- Believe it or not, you can mix tartan with other prints, which is something I was hesitant to do at first. I love the combination of tartan with stripes or animal print, but you can also experiment with floral and polka dot print.
- Pop of Print- If you are still hesitating on wearing the full tartan look, you can still incorporate dashes of the trend into your outfits with tartan print accessories such as shoes, a handbag, or even a scarf.
- Don’t forget the accessories– As with any other look, accessories are what complete a look. Since tartan in popular in the fall/winter, it works really well with tights. Black tights are an easy go-to color, but you can also experiment with other colors shades as mustard, navy, or forest green, depending on the color of your tartan piece.
// Outfit Details //
Faux-leather Jacket- RACHEL Rachel Roy (last seen here)
“Shut the front Dior” Tee- Emporium
Statement Necklace- Torrid at the Palm Beach Outlets
Ruffled Socks- Forever21
Photos by Topanga Marie Photography
Will you be wearing tartan this season? What is your favorite way to wear tartan print?